Historic members of York Model Engineers with a miniature locomotive

Our story · 1929 to now

Forged in York.
Still in motion.

A Society carried through borrowed rooms, lost tracks, wartime workshops and sheer persistence to a permanent railway home.

Early members of York Model Engineers

The long read

We’ve always built
the next chapter.

The first club meetings were mostly discussion nights in public houses. But “Live Steam Nights” brought locomotives to a test bed, stationary engines to life—and even a flash-steam boat into action.

What follows is a story of ingenuity under pressure: every time the Society lost a home, its members stored the rails and started again.

1923
01

The first spark

Model supplier H. P. Jackson placed an advert seeking like-minded York engineers. The first attempt did not take—but the idea stayed warm.

1929
02

Thirty-six founders

On 15 September, 36 people met in Micklegate and formed the York City and District Society of Model and Experimental Engineers. ‘Experimental’ was dropped in 1946.

1947
03

Built by the Big Four

After the war, a raised track was erected at Stockton Lane. Its rails were made by members in LNER workshops; parts still run in today’s Dringhouses track.

1949
04

Bishopthorpe years

Following the loss of Stockton Lane, a circular raised track, exhibitions and open days found a new home at Bishopthorpe. Membership grew to around 50.

1967
05

Beside the main line

Builder Jack Birch offered land at Moor Lane. Over 18 years members added a station, roofed steaming bay and a track familiar to observant East Coast passengers.

1989
06

A permanent home

The Society took possession of former railway sidings at Dringhouses after purchasing the land from British Rail. A clubhouse and track rose from ground deep in NER and LNER ash.

NOW
07

Still in motion

Nearly a century after that Micklegate meeting, new generations keep building, teaching and running—on land connected to York railways since Victorian times.

From the archive

Mr W. Shearman’s
early history, 1929–1982.

A six-page account copied from the notebook of a founding member, recording the Society’s workshops, tracks, setbacks and survival in remarkable detail.

Read the original PDF

The railway runs on steel.
The Society runs on people.

Edited highlights from notes by former secretary, chairman and newsletter editor Ken B.